We care about our environment and make efforts to reduce the harm we inflict on it wherever possible. Some of the steps we take include:
- We capture, filter and re-use rainwater that falls on our greenhouses. We use this collected and cleaned run-off for watering plants and drinking.
- We compost plant trimmings and soil back into the earth.
- We re-use or recycle plastic pots to keep them out of landfills.
- We have an integrated pest-management program relying primarily on biological controls.
- We take a responsible approach to the use of chemicals and - where possible - educate customers on non-chemical methods to try first.
- In the cold months we use a false-ceiling in the tall greenhouses to reduce the height of the buildings, almost halving the area to be heated.
- We source as many of our products as possible from Canadian suppliers. You will notice a gradually expanding selection of "Made in Canada" gifts in our store.